Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A Letter From Leanne



Honorable Senators, House Representatives and Friends,

My name is Leanne (Berry) Carpenter and I was in classes designed for the hearing-impaired at the University Lab School from 1980 to 1985 in Greeley, Colorado. I graduated in 1985 from University High. I moved to Greeley from Oklahoma with my family for me to receive a better education at University Lab School where I learned side-by-side with my hearing classmates and was able to use my excellent education to then attend Gallaudet University, the National School for the Deaf, and am
a graduate of that program also. This is why the program for the deaf and hard of hearing at University is meaningful to me. There is a difference in education for teachers of the deaf and special education. The method of teaching is different and special ed teachers don't necessarily understand deaf education. It is very important for the students in the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Program to stay at University High because they can receive an excellent education there and learn side-by-side with their hearing classmates and have that camaraderie since the hearing students learn sign language. It is important for all the students in the Program to be on the same campus. The older students serve as mentors to the younger students,
encouraging them and serving as examples to stay in school and do well. This would not be possible if the students are scattered across the city and on various campuses. The Program is worth it!

Sincerely,
Leanne H. Carpenter

No comments: